Thursday, May 15, 2008

Polarity Therapy

I take classes at night to learn Massage Therapy. Its not as easy as it sounds. Every night from 7:15-10:45, I am in a class learning about various types of massage therapy, the anatomy and physiology of the body, and basic "spa" skills. This month's session is entitled "Sports Therapy," however this week we are learning about Polarity Therapy.

What is Polarity Therapy? Well, its a energy based health system based on teachings of Aryuvedic Principles. Okay, so apparently, in India, like millions of years ago they developed this way of looking at the body and explaining why people have pain or disease. So, we have energy in our body (positive and negative) and if flows up and down our body. When the energy is blocked, we have a pain, or discomfort. A therapist can transmit their energy to another person in order to relieve the block.

Yeah...thats what I said...transmit their energy to relieve the block.

Okay, so I guess I should have an open mind about this..but I just can't! It does not make any sense to me at all. We tried to feel each other's energy the other night. And I mean, scanning the body, without touching them, we were supposed to feel something. I didn't. I mean, I felt warmth by their face, obviously! My teacher Barbara said that warmth was energy. Can't it just be body heat? People had different experiences though. Many people felt twitching, or waves. I didn't feel any of that.

Perhaps its because I didn't believe it from the get go? Last night I tired to go in with an open mind, but again...nothing. Last night we had to place our hands on our partner who had a pain, and sit there and "imagine the flow of energy from our right hand to our left...giving them our energy to bring their energy flow in balance." Needless to say, my shoulder still hurt when I left that night.

I wonder what the energy feels on a toddler. It must be all over the place! I guess, what do you think? Do you believe in auras and energy fields? Am I being too cynical to actually open up to a fantastic feeling? Have you experienced anything like this before?

Sorry no children stories today...The girls were surprisingly boring yesterday!

2 comments:

kenzie said...

mom says this sounds quite reiki-ish. she says before i was born she had a cool reiki experiece where she saw her chakra colors and it was very intense. but my mom is an odd bird

adamosf said...

I've done some yoga, and some primordial sound meditation, and i have no trouble suspending my disbelief, because i know that belief is a prime factor in the mind healing the body, whether the behavior you believe in is itself valid or not. So don't concentrate on the illogic of the energies; think exclusively about the healing, and it might fall into place for you.